Captiva – make sure you pack your car safely this summer
The message about wearing seatbelts, using child safety seats and properly adjusting headrests has got through to everybody,
which is good news.
Sadly, though, many people don’t think about safety when loading their cars with baggage. This can be dangerous to your
Chevrolet Captiva – safe baggage stowage
The Captiva is a family SUV that offers a number of equipment solutions that help to transport baggage safely and comfortably.
Captiva has 465 litres of trunk space
With trunk space this big, it’s tempting to just randomly fill your car up with bags and other cargo.
But sudden braking or the impact of an accident can turn your baggage into dangerous projectiles.
Safer packing tips:
- Place heavy items at the bottom and wedge them tight up against the back seats
- Fill up gaps between the heavier items with lighter things such as beach mats, inflatables, sports bags etc
- Avoid packing above the line of the back seats
- Use baggage nets and straps to minimize movement
- Remember to ensure your warning triangle, hi visibility vests and first aid kits are all accessible – and not packed at
Captiva – using baggage nets and straps
- Are standard on all Captivas
- If you already own a Captiva, baggage nets can be purchased and fitted at your local
- Also recommended to secure the baggage
- Fastening eyes come as standard in all Captivas
- The straps are available at your local Chevrolet dealer.
Safe transportation of items on the back or roof
There is a wide range of accessories available for the Captiva, like bike
racks and roof boxes, which are designed with safety and ease of use in mind.
Tyre pressures and headlamp beam
- Due to the heavier load you must adjust your tyre pressures
- Check your vehicle handbook
- The extra weight at the back of the car lifts the front up, raising the angle of your headlamp beam. At night this means
you blind on-coming cars
- All Captivas come with self levelling suspension to keep the car level, but you should still use the headlamp levelling
control to adjust the beam, if necessary
- If you car does not have this feature, you must adjust the beam.